Thursday, March 6, 2008

being a preschool/prekindergarten teacher and a mother of a preschool aged child is extremely challenging. The way that I teach my prekindergarten children is somewhat different as to how I deal with Sonia. Sometimes I know that I should be having her practice her name, use scissors and reading to her more; I just feel that when I look at her she is still little and my little girl. "Oh she will get there" I say to myself. But then I realize that I need to be more dilligent with her. I also feel that when she is playing and exploring the many of thousands of books she has she is doing OK for her age.

3 comments:

Lori said...

one thing to remember as a mommy is I'm sure that you've told parents... yes you need to work on this skill at home, but make it fun. children have "structured" learning at school and while we work on skills at home we need to be even more diligent about doing it through play. so you do a few more craft projects to work with scissors and have her paint her name with finger paints... she will get it!

Lori said...

I gave your blog a plug on mine... hope that brings you some more activity!

Pam said...

Welcome to blogging! I came from Lori's page! I hope you enjoy blogging as much as I do. Your daughter is SO cute.

I am a teacher too. I have a (almost) 4 year old and I struggle with all those things you mentioned. I feel like I should get her to write her name and do letters, etc more often. But I also have a (almost) one year old and it was a rough go at the beginning so I slacked off on working with her.

Sometimes I feel like I need to push her more and other times I think she will get there and it will be fine. Oh the guilt and confusion of a working mommy!